Delivering data protection performance and scale in the data centre, EMC disrupts the data protection landscape
New cloud-enabled software powers the next generation deployment models
Putting forth a “protection everywhere” strategy for enterprise customers, EMC Corporation announced major updates to its data protection portfolio at EMC World in Las Vegas, Nevada from 4 – 7 May 2015. These updates extend EMC’s leadership in traditional purpose-built backup appliances and deliver powerful new software solutions that disrupt the data protection status quo.
Other highlights include :
- EMC Data Domain DD9500 resets the bar for data protection with 1.5x the performance and 4x the scalability of the nearest competitor;
- New Data Domain software extends protection to Big Data with support for leading Hadoop and NoSQL deployments;
- EMC ProtectPoint software combines the power of VMAX and Data Domain to deliver 20x the performance of traditional backup; and
- EMC CloudBoost delivers the benefits of the cloud to users of the Data Protection Suite.
“EMC has been talking ‘software-defined’ for some time and these latest announcements show how the company is delivering against their ‘protect everywhere’ vision in its data protection and availability portfolio. EMC is increasingly focused on improvements in its software, which, in turn, will enable customers to intelligently control data protection in environments that are becoming ever more complex. With the introduction of these new features, EMC is empowering customers and partners to create simple, capable and trusted infrastructures that truly protect data regardless of where it lives or is used.”
Jason Buffington, Senior Analyst for Data Protection, ESG
A host of new non-traditional, software-powered data protection solutions are also offered including :-
- Storage Integrated Data Protection – ProtectPoint Software Enhancements
Announced in late 2014, EMC ProtectPoint software offers enterprises a radical new approach to backup, eliminating the need for dedicated back-up infrastructure. Natively integrating with Oracle, SAP and IBM DB2, ProtectPoint is available this quarter.
- Cloud Data Protection – New EMC CloudBoost and Spanning Solutions
CloudBoost seamlessly connects customers’ existing EMC data protection solutions to elastic, scale-out cloud storage such as EMC ECS. This too is available this quarter.
- Software-Only Data Domain – Project Falcon
Project Falcon previews software-only Data Domain that will enable customers to quickly and easily deploy Data Domain software in a variety of new deployment models for the ultimate in flexibility; this is a preview of a software-only version of Data Domain and availability will be published later in 2015.
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing.
- To view videos of EMC World 2015 keynotes, general sessions, backstage sessions, and EMC TV video coverage, visit http://www.emcworld.com.
- EMC Pulse Blogs:
- Social: Get continuous EMC World news and event updates by following EMC on Twitter at @EMCWorld, @EMCCorp @EMCProtectData and @EMC_News; join conversations with #EMCWORLD
- Photos: View photos of EMC World on Flickr
EMC2, EMC, RecoverPoint, ProtectPoint, Data Domain, Avamar, NetWorker, XtremIO, Mozy, Spanning and the EMC logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners. © Copyright 2015 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved.
Printed circuit board image courtesy Max Carnage@freeimages.com.