Cisco Connected Safety and Security Helps Protect Cities and Business
News | Cisco Connected Safety and Security Helps Protect Cities and Business by Adding Intelligence and Analytics, From the Core to the Edge
Cisco Internet of Things solutions now available to automate and simplify business operations, remote site monitoring using edge-based analytics, connected-edge storage
Today, businesses are challenged with easily managing, securing and safeguarding assets such as people, property and things in remote sites. Limitations on bandwidth availability and the expense of alternative solutions or on-site personnel coverage makes it very difficult to protect and secure assets across distributed locations and field operations. Cisco announced today Connected Safety and Security solutions and collaboration with a group of ecosystem companies that remedy these challenges and leverage the new capabilities and benefits of the Internet of Things (IoT) to help businesses and governments cut costs and provide better safety.
At the core of these new solutions is Cisco’s Video Surveillance Manager 7.6 (VSM). VSM 7.6 is a proven, mature and highly scalable IoT video surveillance platform that enables customers to easily manage highly distributed multivendor, edge-based analytics applications. The solution now provides new IP Camera application management features that, together with video analytics, connected edge storage and IoT connectivity, are solving a broad range of safety and security challenges for public sector, energy, transportation, industrial and service provider customer by delivering reliability at scale.
Highlights of the solution include:
- VSM’s Connected Edge Storage (CES) feature provides the flexibility to store video at the edge, on cameras with the intelligent ability to transfer the data centrally on demand or automatically to preserve limited bandwidth to remote sites;
- Cisco’s IP Cameras provide technology partners and application developers with an open application development platform and SDK for IP Cameras, allowing customers to easily add functionality as needed, effectively turning IP Cameras into intelligent sensors capable of processing more than just video and supporting multiple analytics apps that provide information and automation at the edge, such as audio analytics, SIP applications and other analytics, acting as IoT-ready smart endpoints;
- Video analytics at the edge allows intelligent event processing and classification and enables exceptional event action and management even before the data is analysed at a central location. For example, it can recognise glass breaking, aggression or gunshots through video and audio enabled capabilities via apps in the cameras, and take actions at a local level, such as starting detailed recording, alerting the central monitoring centers or signaling other cameras to focus on the same event from different angles;
- These capabilities also save customers on the cost of storage and bandwidth, as only relevant video data is sent back for archiving or detailed analysis. With VSM and edge-based capabilities of Cisco’s Smart Endpoints (IP Cameras), customers can manage IoT applications for remote site monitoring of assets across industries, allowing companies to achieve significant ROI benefits from improved operations, even for sites where there is limited connectivity and bandwidth; and
- The Cisco Safety and Security Desktop application enables security operators to easily and quickly identify alerts and events associated with positive analytic activities at the remote sites, decreasing the reaction time for potential threats.
“Crime and safety tops the list of the daily concerns of ordinary Malaysians. Deployment of enforcement personnel to patrol crime hotspot areas, especially if they are scattered, can be a challenge as these agencies face the problem of limited resources. That is why we see the Malaysian Government increasingly relying on innovative solutions such as the Safe City Programme through the Government Transformation Programme (GTP) that was built on the Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) principles to reduce street crime levels and making citizens feel safer. Cisco believes that more value can be derived to improve the safety and security in Malaysian cities by embracing the technological innovation brought by the Internet of Things (IoT). For example, IP Cameras, together with video analytics, connected edge storage and IoT connectivity strategically deployed in hotspot crime areas can complement the Safe City Programme by increasing the number of eyes on the street acting as a crime deterrent. In addition, combined with data analytics, authorities can analyse crowds and traffic patterns through video surveillance cameras to identify potential problems and respond quickly to prevent harm or disruption from occurring”
Albert Chai, Country Manager for Cisco in Malaysia
Albert Chai. Image courtesy Cisco Malaysia
Working with partners to deliver benefits through analytics and connected endpoints: Cisco works with global strategic alliance partner AGT International, a leading IoT analytics company, to provide customers with highly secure, interoperable solutions and services in order to take advantage of the IoE.
- The AGT and Cisco solutions collect data from sensors and cameras, and filters content using sophisticated analytics to identify relevant information;
- The City Safety Solution helps law enforcement agencies monitor public area, accurately detect incidents early on, track suspects and respond faster through analysis of unusual activity patterns. The solution combines data from multiple sources to help identify real incidents and reduce false alarms;
- The Traffic Incident Management Solution helps traffic departments quickly detect more incidents, and respond faster by monitoring and analysing traffic flow data. The solution fuses data from multiple sources to help identify real incidents and reduce false alarms, and integrates data from multiple applications into one comprehensive solution.
Cisco is also announcing support for Cisco Instant Connect mobile applications on Apple iOS devices, in addition to Google Android devices. To learn more about Cisco Instant Connect, please visit the Instant Connect solution overview site.
“The Internet of Things is enabling us to connect devices and control the physical world in new and exciting ways that add not only to business value but to employees’ and citizens’ quality of life. VSM7.6 powers intelligent video surveillance as a valuable business tool to mitigate risk, improve operational processes and provide better customer experiences.”
Kip Compton, VP, IoT Systems & Software Group, Cisco
- Visit Cisco Physical Security at: www.cisco.com/go/physec
- In-depth blog on AGT and Cisco’s New IoE solutions for Smart Cities
- Watch the webinar, “Creating Safer, Smarter Cities,” to learn about Cisco Smart+Connected™ City solutions
- Cisco Video Surveillance Manager 7 solution overview and data sheet
- Cisco IP Interoperability and Collaboration System Release 4.8 solution overview and data sheet
- Cisco IP Interoperability and Collaboration System (IPICS) Mobile Client solution overview and data sheet
- Cisco IP Camera Applications and Utilities
- Cisco Video Surveillance 6500PD and 7530PD IP Cameras
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is a worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to thenetwork.cisco.com.